A horrifying scene unfolded at The Vermont Hollywood late Friday night when a car suddenly plowed through a large crowd gathered outside the popular East Hollywood venue, injuring at least 30 people. Witnesses say the chaos erupted just after 9:00 PM during an event attended by dozens. The situation escalated further when a bystander fatally shot the driver after he was pulled from the vehicle.
Table of Contents
Police Investigating Tragedy Outside East Hollywood Club
Authorities are scrambling for answers after a high-speed incident turned a night of entertainment into sheer terror. The suspect, whose identity has not been released, reportedly drove a dark-colored sedan at full speed into a group standing on the sidewalk near the entrance of The Vermont Hollywood.
LAPD spokesperson Capt. Erin Yasuda confirmed that 30 individuals were injured, including several in critical condition. Emergency responders transported victims to local hospitals. Police believe the act may have been intentional but are investigating all possible motives.
🟢 Key Points Summary: What You Need to Know
- 🚗 Car crashed into crowd outside The Vermont Hollywood at approx. 9 PM Friday
- 🧍♀️👥 At least 30 people injured, some critically
- 🔫 Driver pulled from vehicle and shot by a bystander before police arrived
- 🚔 LAPD is investigating motive, possible connections, and identity
- 📹 Multiple cell phone videos and witness statements are under review
- ⚠️ Streets near Santa Monica Blvd and Vermont Ave remain closed off
Panic Outside The Vermont Hollywood Leaves City in Shock
The area surrounding The Vermont Hollywood was instantly flooded with flashing red and blue lights as authorities tried to gain control of the situation. Several eyewitnesses described the car accelerating as it approached the venue.
“It looked like he sped up on purpose,” said local resident Kayla Torres, who was nearby. “People were screaming, trying to run—then we saw someone open the car door and drag him out.”
Moments after the driver was removed from the vehicle, a civilian reportedly opened fire, striking the suspect multiple times. Authorities confirmed the driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
The shooter stayed at the scene and surrendered his firearm to arriving officers. LAPD is currently reviewing his actions to determine whether the shooting was in self-defense or an unlawful use of force.
Scene Still Active: LAPD, Forensics, and Community on High Alert
Police cordoned off several blocks in East Hollywood, with Vermont Avenue shut down between Sunset and Melrose. Crime scene investigators and forensics teams were seen working late into the night.
Additional key developments include:
- FBI has not joined the investigation yet, but LAPD said they are keeping federal partners updated.
- Surveillance footage from The Vermont Hollywood and nearby businesses is being collected.
- Mental health counselors have been dispatched to help traumatized victims and witnesses.
- LAPD asks anyone with video or information to come forward anonymously.
Local Leaders, Celebrities React to the Incident
Within hours of the incident, multiple public figures expressed shock on social media. Los Angeles City Councilmember Hugo Soto-Martínez wrote on X (formerly Twitter), “What happened tonight in East Hollywood is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with the injured and their families.”
Some entertainment figures who have previously performed at The Vermont Hollywood also posted messages of solidarity, calling for more safety at large public gatherings.
What’s Next: Ongoing Investigation and Community Response
Investigators continue to work around the clock to piece together the sequence of events. While early speculation leans toward an intentional attack, officials caution that no final determination has been made.
The LAPD encourages witnesses or those with video evidence to contact the Hollywood Division. Community safety patrols will be increased around other entertainment venues in the coming days.
Final Thoughts:
As East Hollywood processes this traumatic event, the community stands united in support of the victims. With many questions still unanswered, authorities urge the public to remain calm, avoid spreading rumors, and let the investigation unfold. Stay tuned for updates—and feel free to share your thoughts or experiences in the comments below.