What to Do When Your Girlfriend Won’t Leave Your House: A Step-by-Step Guide

If you own your house and want your girlfriend to leave, there are several steps you can take. Let’s explore all the options in this article.

Give proper written notice

You can give your girlfriend proper written notice to vacate the premises. The notice should include the date by which she must leave, which is usually 30 days from the date of the notice. If she does not leave by the deadline, you can file a lawsuit against her

Sample Letter

[Your Name] [Your Address] [City, State, ZIP Code] [Date]

[Girlfriend’s Name] [Girlfriend’s Address] [City, State, ZIP Code]

Subject: Notice to Vacate

Dear [Girlfriend’s Name],

I am writing to inform you that, as per our current living arrangement, you are required to vacate the premises at [Your Address] within 30 days from the date of this notice. This notice is being issued in accordance with the relevant laws and regulations governing such matters.

The vacate date, as stipulated by this notice, is [30 days from the Date mentioned above]. By this date, you must have completely moved out, returned any property or belongings that belong to me, and ensured that the premises are in the same condition as when you initially moved in.

Please consider this notice as a formal request to terminate our cohabitation arrangement. I kindly request that we cooperate to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Failure to comply with this notice may result in legal action, including the initiation of eviction proceedings. I hope it does not come to that, and we can resolve this matter amicably.

If you have any questions or require any additional information, please feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.


[Your Name]

  • Be sure to deliver the notice to your girlfriend in person, or by certified mail. This will ensure that she has received it and cannot claim that she was unaware of the eviction.
  • If you are delivering the notice in person, it is a good idea to have a witness present. This could be a friend, family member, or even a neighbor.
  • Keep a copy of the notice for your records.

File a Lawsuit

If your girlfriend refuses to leave your property after receiving proper written notice, you may need to file a lawsuit to remove her. To initiate this legal process, follow these steps:

  1. Determine the Appropriate Court:
    You must first identify the court with jurisdiction over your case, which depends on the nature of your dispute and the amount of money involved.
  2. Draft a Complaint:
    Prepare a legal document called a complaint. This document outlines your case, the reasons for the lawsuit, and the relief you are seeking. File this complaint with the appropriate court.
  3. Serve Your Girlfriend:
    After filing the complaint, you need to serve your girlfriend with a copy of the complaint and a summons. This notifies her that she is being sued and provides her with an opportunity to respond.
  4. Attend Court:
    Attend the court hearings as scheduled. During the court proceedings, you will present your case to a judge. The judge will listen to both sides, review the evidence presented, and make a decision based on the facts and applicable law.

Please note that filing a lawsuit is a serious legal step, and it’s advisable to consult with an attorney or legal expert to ensure you follow the correct procedures and comply with relevant laws and regulations.

Consider paying her to leave

Offering Payment to Encourage Early Departure

If you wish to avoid the legal process and encourage your girlfriend to leave early, offering a payment can be an option. However, it’s important to approach this matter carefully. Here are two payment options to consider:

1. Lump Sum Payment:

  • Offer a one-time, lump-sum payment in exchange for her vacating the premises by a specific date.
  • If she agrees, draft a written agreement that clearly states the amount of the payment and the agreed-upon move-out date.
  • Once she signs the agreement, release the payment to her.

2. Periodic Payments:

  • Alternatively, you can offer her weekly or biweekly payments until she moves out.
  • This approach is riskier as she may choose to continue residing in the premises while receiving payments from you.
  • However, it may be more appealing to her as it provides a steady income stream while she searches for a new place to live.

General Tips:

  • Regardless of the payment method you choose, always document everything in writing. This documentation will protect you in case of any disputes later on.
  • Ensure that she fully understands the terms of the agreement and that the payment is contingent on her vacating the premises by the agreed-upon date.
  • Be prepared to negotiate with her. She might request a higher payment than initially offered. Negotiation is possible, but establish your limits.
  • Do not release the payment until she has actually left the premises. This safeguards you against a situation where she takes the money and refuses to move out.

Approaching this matter in a clear and legally sound way is essential to prevent potential conflicts or misunderstandings. It’s advisable to consult with a legal expert or mediator to help facilitate the process and ensure that both parties are protected.

Remove your girlfriend from your home without Legal Representation?

If you decide to remove your girlfriend from your home without legal representation, there are several important consequences to be aware of:

1. Established Tenancy Rights:

  • If your girlfriend has been residing in your home for an extended period, she may have established tenancy rights under local laws.
  • These rights could grant her the legal right to stay in your home, even if she hasn’t contributed financially to the property.
  • Forcibly evicting her without following proper legal procedures could violate her rights and lead to legal consequences.

2. Legal Action:

  • If your girlfriend has established tenancy rights, she may have the option to take legal action against you for an improper eviction.
  • This legal action could result in you being required to pay damages or other legal penalties.

3. Damage to Your Relationship:

  • Forcibly ejecting your girlfriend without proper legal procedures can seriously damage your relationship.
  • It may make reconciliation difficult in the future.
  • Handling the situation with care and respect is vital to minimize harm to your relationship.

4. Legal Penalties:

  • Depending on the laws in your jurisdiction, you could face legal penalties for an unlawful eviction.
  • These penalties might include fines, imprisonment, or other legal consequences.

It’s essential to comprehend the legal implications of removing your girlfriend from your home and to seek professional advice if you find yourself in such a situation. If you are facing a situation where your girlfriend wishes to leave or you want her to depart, consulting with a lawyer is imperative. A lawyer can provide guidance and advice based on the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction, helping you navigate the situation legally and responsibly.


In conclusion, when you own your house and want your girlfriend to leave, it’s crucial to follow legal procedures to protect your rights and maintain a respectful approach. Providing proper written notice, offering payment for early departure, or seeking legal representation are all viable options. However, the key is to prioritize open communication, respect, and adherence to local laws to navigate this challenging situation while minimizing legal consequences and preserving the possibility of an amicable resolution.

Latest Articles

How to Remove a Conservation Easement from...

Removing a conservation easement from your property is not...

Buying a house that is zoned commercial

Introduction Investing in a house zoned commercial can prove to...

Can i sue my apartment complex in...

Can i sue my apartment complex? Reasons for Suing Your...