Mr. Cooper, a mortgage lending company based in Dallas, Texas, was hit by a cyberattack on October 31, 2023, which caused the company to shut down its IT systems, including access to their online payment portal.
As of November 4th, 2023, Mr. Cooper is still investigating the cyberattack that occurred on October 31st, 2023. The company has not yet disclosed whether customer data was stolen, but it is actively working to determine if any data has been compromised. Mr. Cooper’s systems remain locked down, and the company is working on a resolution as quickly as possible. The company has stated that it is committed to providing regular updates on the incident.
The company has assured customers that they will not face any fees, penalties, or negative impacts on their credit reports as it investigates the potential data compromise
Customers trying to make payments will not incur fees or any negative impacts as the company works to fix the issue. Mr. Cooper has filed an 8-K form with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) stating that the company experienced a cybersecurity incident where an “unauthorized third party gained access to certain technology systems.” The company does not believe this incident will have a material adverse effect on its business, operations, or financial results.
Investigation is underway to determine if any data was compromised, notify impacted customers, and provide identity protection services.”
Table of Contents
What is the cause of the cyberattack on Mr. cooper?
Mr. Cooper has not disclosed the exact cause of the cyberattack, but it has stated that an unauthorized third party gained access to certain technology systems. As of now, no cybercriminal gangs or hacker collective has taken responsibility for the cyberattack on Mr. Cooper. The company has not disclosed when it expects to bring its systems back to operation, or if the company has the technical ability to determine what customer data, if any, was stolen.
Impact of the cyberattack on mr. cooper’s customers
- A cyberattack on Mr. Cooper has caused a massive system outage, impacting millions of customers.
- Customers have been unable to log in to the company’s website to make payments on their mortgages or loans.
- The company assures customers that they will not face any fees, penalties, or negative impacts on their credit reports as it investigates the potential data compromise.
- The IT systems remain locked, and the issue will be resolved as soon as possible.
- Mr. Cooper has not disclosed whether customer data was stolen, but it is actively working to determine if any data has been compromised.
- If any customer data is compromised, they will be provided with a formal notification and further identity protection.
- The company has launched an investigation with assistance from leading cybersecurity experts and notified law enforcement.
- The timeline for completing the investigation is unclear as the company has not provided a specific schedule.
- As of now, no cybercriminal gangs or hacker collective have claimed responsibility for the cyberattack on Mr. Cooper.